Big River Header

Family Histories, Part 30

Waite, John and Maud

Submitted by Melanie Bueckert

John Waite.
John, Lenora, Maude and Richard Waite.

John Waite was born in Nottingham, England, in 1876. He worked on the train system in England. He met and married Maud Hannah (Rawding). She was also born in 1876. They came from Nottingham to the Zealandia/Sovereign area with their three children, Leonard, Kathleen and Edna in 1913 and settled in the vicinity of his three brothers, Bill, Herb and Jack. Daughter Edna passed away during infancy while the family was in Zealandia. They helped with the farm work and in 1915 moved to Saskatoon. John was employed at the J. F. Cairns store (Hudson Bay Store). Another daughter, Victoria was born in 1916. In the fall of 1916, the family came to Big River, where Mr Waite had taken up a homestead about eight miles north of town. Both Mr. Waite and Leonard worked for a time in the then existing lumber mill and during the winter were engaged in fishing.

Mr Waite was very active in the community; he was one of the five men of the Big River Development Company, which formed at the time the lumber company was dismantled and moved away. In January 1922, the lumber company offered the whole town for sale for the sum of twenty thousand dollars giving title to all the land and all the buildings. These five men then each owned part of the town. He also served on the council for some years after Big River was incorporated as a Village. He was one of the first on the Anglican Church Board, then known as St. Mary's Mission.

In later years, Mr Waite sold his homestead and resided on a farm north and just out of Big River town limits (later the Hannigan and then the Earl Rice farm). As it was a wooded area, many days were spent in clearing the land. It was in his living room in his farmhouse that he first started buying fish.

Mr Waite passed away at home from stomach cancer in 1943. Mrs Waite died of a massive heart attack in Prince Albert, in January 1949.

Waite, Leonard John

Submitted by Melaine Bueckert

Leonard Waite.
Len Waite.

Leonard was born in Nottingham, England, on August 24, 1902, the oldest of four children to John and Maude (Rawding) Waite. They immigrated to Canada to the Zealandia area in Saskatchewan in 1913. In 1915, they moved to Saskatoon. John worked at the F. R. MacMillan Store (now Ave. Building). In the fall of 1916, the family moved to Big River to homestead (eight miles north of town). They moved into town on First Street, later relocating just out of town. When Leonard was not in school, he helped his father on the farm and worked for a time in the then existing lumber mill. He also fished in the winter. In 1922, he went to Chiropractor school in Chicago. After graduation, he returned home and went fishing again with his father.

In January 1929, Leonard married Martha Meyers, a schoolteacher from Rosthern who had moved to Big River in 1925. They have one daughter, Lenora Maude, born October 9, 1929, and a son Richard John born February 5, 1931.

Leonard built the fish business up over the years into a thriving industry. In 1945, he built the first fish filleting plant in Saskatchewan at Dore Lake, followed by similar plants at Buffalo Narrows and Cree Lake.

Leonard was also one of the first "Northerners" to haul fish by aircraft and his years of flying were put to good use during the Second World War for he served as a chief flying instructor at the Elementary Flying Training School in Prince Albert during that time. (He trained men from the commonwealth nations). After the war, he spent his time travelling to the States to different fish companies looking for buyers to purchase the fish, which in turn caused them to build more fish filleting plants and freezers. For some years, Leonard owned Big River Light and Power, supplying the community with electrical energy. Connected with the fish business, he bought several planes and Northern Airlines was incorporated. The government later purchased both of these companies.

In the early fifties because of the need for housing, the houses on the hill (Waite Crescent) were built by employees of Waite Fisheries during the summer months when the fishing industry was slow. They were supervised by Horace Chenard. They housed the banker, doctor, fish inspector, bus driver and a pilot. These homes were later sold. The rock retainer wall was also erected. The land for the hospital was donated to the town.

Len was a member of the Big River Elk's lodge, the town council, and the Big River Board of Trade. He was also president of the Prairie Fisheries' Federation, an association covering the three Prairie Provinces, and an active community member.

Leonard passed away in January 1964, in Saskatoon from a massive heart attack.

Waite, Martha Dorothea Veronica (Meyers)

Submitted by Melaine Bueckert

Martha Waite.
Martha Waite - 1958.

Martha was born February 1, 1904, in Pierson, Manitoba, the third child of fourteen to Joseph R. Meyers (Meiers) and Mary Adelaide (Imbery). The family settled at a homestead near Tramping Lake with their parents. When Martha was about six (1910), they moved to a farm near Coblenz (Caveil, after the war). They lived here for a few years, and then moved to Rosthern, as her dad was working on the railway.

Martha went to Normal school in 1923 in Saskatoon. After graduation, she taught at a country school just outside of Rosthern. She roomed at the CN station in Rosthern doing housework to pay for her room and board. She came to Big River in 1925 to teach school in the Junior School, which burnt down in 1929, so she had to teach in the United Church.

Martha married Leonard Waite in January 1929. They had two children, a daughter, Lenora Maude, and a son, Richard John.

She was an active member of the O.O.R.P and was Supreme Honored Royal Lady of Canada. There was nothing that Martha couldn't do. and couldn't do well, be it baking, needlepoint, or sewing. She loved to garden and to travel worldwide.

Martha, along with her son Richard, took over the business after Len's death in 1964. She remained working until 1985 when she became ill with cancer. She died on June 10, 1986.

Waite, Richard John

Submitted by Melanie Bueckert

Richard Waite.
Back Row: Richard. Front Row: Rhonda, Martha, Alison and John.

Richard Waite was born February 5, 1931, in Prince Albert, Saskatchewan, the second child of Leonard and Martha Waite. Richard went to elementary school in Big River and high school in Winnipeg at St. Johns Ravenscourt College, a boy's school. He was active in the air cadets there. When he graduated, he took a business course in Prince Albert. He worked in Waite Fisheries office doing the books before moving up to Buffalo Narrows, where he did the books and helped pack fish for Waite & Company.

Richard received his pilot's license in 1954 and moved to Buffalo Narrows. He then flew into the different lakes to pick up fish and deliver groceries and supplies to the fishermen. He managed Waite & Company after his dad passed away in 1964.

Richard married Martha Theresa Pedersen, from Buffalo Narrows, in April 1964. They had three children, John Thorvald born October 1964, Rhonda Lee born October 1965, and Alison Dee born May 1967. He remained in the fish plant after Fresh Water Fish Marketing Corporation took over in 1969. The filleting process was shut down soon after so he was now buying and packing the fish and shipping it to Winnipeg to be processed there. Business fell off when most of the lakes went to winter fishing only. He made many business trips down to Big River in his Cessna 180, CF-LJW, always buzzing the town by circling twice overhead signalling the office that he would need to be picked up at the dock. When Waite Fisheries sold in 1989, he continued to ship fish to Winnipeg.

Richard was mayor of Buffalo Narrows for numerous terms of office. He was very active in all activities in the village especially the children's Christmas treats. He enjoyed his trips to the cabin on Maurice Lake with his friends and went as often as he could, either flying in or driving in on Skidoos. He also enjoyed his motor home. Richard passed away on April 12, 1995, from cancer. His son, John took over the packing and shipping of fish to Winnipeg and continues to do so in 2003.

Wald, E.H

Mr Wald was residing in Conquest, Saskatchewan and applied for a cordwood permit berth on SE 25-54-7 W3rd on Dec 19, 1919, in the Winter Lake district. The Permit Berth was granted on March 30, 1920, and he cut seventy-two cords of dry spruce and one thousand fence posts. He was paid $5.00 per cord from which $0.50 was deducted for timber dues. The fence posts were valued at 10 cents each with 2 cents deducted for dues. The posts and cordwood were delivered to the Dumble CN station and shipped from that site.

Walker, Gordon and Albretta

Excerpts from Timber Trails, 1979

Gordon and Albretta Walker came to Bodmin in 1926. He taught school for two years in Bodmin, and then came into Big River to teach for another two years. Here, he taught seventy-three students in five grades. Again he went back to Bodmin and taught for another two years. Due to the decrease in wages, Gordon quit his job. His successor received three hundred dollars a year and the wages dropped so low that she could not collect enough for her fifteen-dollar monthly rent.

Gordon took a homestead at Bodmin. During his farming career, he raised cows and pigs and planted his crops. At times, he worked up to sixteen or eighteen hours a day.

Mr Walker remembers taking an old Model T motor, fixing it, and constructing it so that it would run a saw at one end of a belt, and a grain grinder at the other. As much as eighteen hundred cords of wood went through it.

Mr and Mrs Walker had twins, a son Alexander, and a daughter, Evelyn. Mr Walker resides in Big River today.

Wall, Joe and Fern (Kennedy)

Joe Wall family.
Back Row: Les, Pam,
Middle Row: Erryn, holding Ryan, Meagan, Colleen and Cory.
Middle Row: Tyson, holding Liam, Jordon, Braiden, Lane, Kaylee, Danette and Courtenay.
Front Row: Joe, Cody, Sydney, Nakota and Fern. Inset: Josh (left), Dimitar.

I was the fifth child of Art and Ethel Kennedy. I was born shortly after they moved from Prince Albert to the Ladder Valley District.

I attended school in Ladder Valley for grades one to eight and then was bused to Big River for High School. When I finished grade ten, I moved to Lake Cowichan, British Columbia where my oldest sister Pat and her family lived.

On August 28, 1965, I married Joe Wall, the youngest son of John and Agatha Wall of Big River. He had moved to British Columbia earlier that year and was working in the bush with Pat's husband, Jim.

We moved back to Big River in the spring of 1966. We spent a short time in Saskatoon also. Then we moved to Thompson, Manitoba where our first daughter, Pamela was born in 1967 and our son Cory in 1968. Here Joe worked underground in a nickel mine.

In 1971, while living in Canal Flats, British Columbia our second daughter Danette was born. Joe worked in the sawmill. We moved to Surrey, British Columbia where Joe attended B.C.I.T. and received his welding tickets and I worked as an aide in a mental health facility.

After several moves all over British Columbia, we came back to Big River where our last daughter Erryn was born in 1975. We bought the southeast quarter of 35-55-7 W3rd from Ken and Bertha Crashley (formerly known as the Bond quarter). We built a house in 1979 and still live here.

Other than Pam's first year of school, which she took in Surrey, British Columbia, our children have taken all their schooling in Big River. Pam took two years of Education in University in Saskatoon. Danette took one-year university, then went on to Business College and got her Administrative Assistant Certificate. Erryn went to university for three years and then went to Calgary to S.A.I.T. and is now a paralegal.

Joe has worked all over northern Saskatchewan in areas as freighting, building winter roads, and mining, drilling, millwrighting, driving a truck and as a welder/mechanic. For several years we kept foster children in our home.

In 1986, I took a Special Care Aide course and started working at the Lakewood Lodge Special Care Facility where I still work.

Our children are all married and we have twelve grandchildren. Pam married Stewart Johnson and they have three sons, Tyson, Cody and Jordon. After they divorced, Pam married Dimitar Nozhdelov from Bulgaria. Pam and her family reside in Big River where she works as a teacher assistant.

Cory married Colleen Smith and they have three daughters, Kaylee, Meagan and Sydney. They live in Ladder Valley, where Cory has his own business as a cabinetmaker and Colleen is a secretary for Big River Lumber Mill.

Danette married Courtney Phillips and they have three children, Nakota, Lane and Liam. They reside in Calgary, where Courtney works as a welder and Danette runs her own daycare home.

Erryn married Leslie Krienke and they also have three children, Braiden, Ryan and Josh. They live in Calgary where Erryn works in a law office and Leslie as an engineer.

Wall, Laverne (Hegland)

Laverne Wall.
Wonda, Hal, Harley and Laverne.

I was born in Big River, Saskatchewan on January 7, 1944, to Walter and Annie (Milligan) Hegland. I lived here until I moved to Saskatoon where I took a hairdressing course at Marvel Beauty School and graduated in 1963. I worked at Pleasant Hill Beauty salon for a year. I moved to Edmonton, Alberta and shared accommodations with my sister-in-law, Lynne Hegland, and worked at various salons.

I met my husband Harley Wall in Edmonton in 1964 and we were married in December of that year. Our son, Hal, was born in April 1965 and daughter, Wonda, in December of 1966.

We moved to Calgary in 1972 and Harley took a job with LaFarge Canada. He has worked there for 32 years as a loader operator and will be retiring in 2004. Harley is also from Big River. He is the son of Ben and Marie Wall. He worked at the Big River Lumber Mill and a mill in Prince George, British Columbia as well as Thompson, Manitoba.

I worked in various salons until opening my own from 1980-1990. We moved to High River in 1999 and I currently work at the nursing home. Harley and I return to Big River for two weeks every summer to go camping and fishing and visit with our relations that reside here.

Our son, Hal, is a welder in Calgary and married Dana Johnson in 2001. They have two children, Brittany and Logan. Our daughter, Wonda, is a hairdresser in Calgary and married Keith Michaud in May 2002. They have a daughter, Jessica and a grandson, Brayden.

Wall, Pat (Kennedy)

Pat Wall.
Lori, Gordie, Debbie, Pat and Jim.

I was born in Prince Albert, Saskatchewan on May 19, 1939. We moved to Ladder Valley in 1948 and I took the rest of my schooling in Ladder Valley.

I went to work for my mom's cousin in a store at Molansoa, and later returned to Big River and worked at Godin's store and also at the Big River Union Hospital.

I married Jim Wall on June 10, 1959, and we lived in a suite at the post office for the first year. After that, we moved back to our farm, until we decided to move out to Lake Cowichan, British Columbia in 1964.

We were in a shake and shingle business until we decided to move to a logging camp north-west of Mackenzie, British Columbia in 1984. Jim was killed in a logging accident the first year we were there, so I decided to stay working there until 1998 when I moved back to Big River.

We have three children all born in Big River. Debbie was born in 1960 and married Bruno Williams from Lake Cowichan in 1984, and has two children Brandice and Chad. They all reside in Big River. Gordie was born in 1962 and married Andrea Echert of Lake Cowichan in 1984. They have two children, Mason and Chelsey, and reside at Mackenzie, British Columbia. Lori was born in 1964 and is married to Brian Lyons of Prince George. They have two children Cole and Richelle and reside in Prince George.

Wardrobe, Bob

As told by Dick Smith

Bob Wardrobe lived in a cave, which was dug into the banks on the east side of Winter Lake, (NE19-54-6 W3rd). He drove a team of oxen and had a wagon trail into his place.

Bob used to cut his hay for his oxen in a hay meadow which the government handed over to John Eliason for a hay lease. Bob Wardrobe went out and pounded steel stakes into the ground all over the hay meadow.

When I was twelve years old I was working over at John Eliason's firing the steam engine for the sawmill. John had his house-banked up with sawdust to keep out the cold. One night while we were playing cards at the table, we heard a noise outside. The next morning we saw there were tracks in the sawdust where someone was looking in the window. We figured it was Bob Wardrobe and that he was going to harm John.

Warren, David and Patricia

David and Patricia (Luchinske) Warren moved to Big River for a couple of years, just until they could get jobs closer to Prince Albert where Dave's parents lived. This is their story.

We moved to Big River from Churchbridge because this was the closest teaching position to Prince Albert that we could find. We had decided that we would stay here for a few years, just until something came open in Prince Albert. To start us off right, there was no place in all of Big River to rent unless we wanted to rent a suite in the Waite Fisheries building. We were not too impressed with having to share a bathroom that was down the hall so we decided to buy a trailer and lot at 811 1st Street North, on the northeast edge of town. It happened to be located right across the street from the sawmill, so many nights were spent sitting watching the big trucks being unloaded because it was too noisy to sleep. However, one can get used to most things and in time we didn't notice the noise any more.

Christopher Kyle, our first child, was born the first year that we were here. We were lucky to find good babysitters such as Rosemary Thibeault for awhile then Bertha Smith whose daycare children were considered part of her family. Four years later our twins, Jennifer Lynne and Gerald Rodger were born. Although "Auntie Bertha" said she would never babysit twins she kindly reconsidered and took them in.

The trailer was adequate for a family of three and we enjoyed our time there. We played peek-a-boo with a mouse around the folding bedroom door until Chris brought home Nickens, our first cat, given to him by his sitter. Nickens put an end to that cheeky little fellow and any relatives he may have had.

When we found that our family was going to increase, we decided that we would need more room, so we moved the trailer to the back of the lot and lived in it while our new house was being built on the front of the lot. It was very exciting to see that new house going up.

By now, we were fairly well hooked and talk of moving closer to Prince Albert had all but ceased. We were both working. We now had three children, a cat and a new home. The sawmill from across the road had been moved to Bodmin so all was quiet and peaceful. We had become very involved with St. Martin's Anglican Church, Kinsmen and Kinettes, Beavers, Cubs and Scouts as well as our jobs.

As we were no longer thinking of moving closer to them, Dave's parents decided that they would move closer to their only grandchildren. After spending all their lives in Prince Albert, they sold their home there and bought a house here in Big River where Dave's mother, Kathleen Warren, still lives. Sadly his father, Wilfred Warren, passed away in September 1995.

The years fairly flew by. The children as they grew, attended Sunday School at St. Martin's Anglican Church and attended T.D. Michel Elementary School. They were very involved in the Scouting and Guiding movement. They graduated from Big River High School then went on to other things. Jennifer took Early Childhood Education but is working at A & W in Prince Albert. Gerry has his B.Ed. and is teaching in Hines Creek, Alberta. Chris has his BA in Psychology and is now completing his Primary Care Paramedic course at Kelsey in Saskatoon.

As the years went by, we outgrew Kinsmen and Kinettes. David still works at the IGA, likes to garden, and is into umpiring for fastball. Pat retired from teaching and does a lot of volunteering. She was invited to join Royal Purple and enjoys it very much. She is on the Big River Authority Housing Board, Curling Committee, the Library Board, ACW, and Treasurer for the Anglican Church. She still subs at the T.D. Michel school and volunteers when asked.

The couple years stay, has stretched to more than thirty and will hopefully, stretch to include many more.

Warriner, Alan and Noella

Alan Warriner.
Back Row: Alan and Nicole.
Front Row: Bradley and Noella - Sept 2002.

I was born on May 12, 1962, in Big River, Saskatchewan, last in line of offspring born to Tom and Barbara Warriner. I completed all my schooling in Big River and after High School I started to work in Building Construction.

I built grain elevators for about six years, travelling around Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba. I then settled in Saskatoon where I worked in residential construction until 1989. I entered Kelsey Institute where I achieved my Journeyman Certificate in Carpentry.

While building grain elevators, I met and married Linda Carriss of Eston, Saskatchewan in 1986. This marriage was not meant to be and we soon divorced.

During a weekend spent with Norman and Joyce in Prud'homme, I was introduced to Noella Viczko. After six months of dating from a distance, I was still working on the road, we moved into Saskatoon. We were married on October 20, 1992. Our first child, Nicole was born on October 8, 1993, and our second child, Bradley was born on December 29, 1995. Nikki is going into grade five and Bradley will be starting grade two in the fall.

After fifteen years of working at the Vet College on Campus, Noella has taken a position at the Provincial Courthouse and I am currently studying to become an Occupational Health and Safety Professional.

Warriner, Christopher

Christopher Warriner.
Christopher and Lori, - Christmas, 2003.

I was born in Big River, February 24, 1961, the seventh and final child of Mary and Richard Warriner. I have lived and worked in this community my entire life.

It seems, looking back, that I have participated and observed many accomplishments and disappointments over the years and I guess in most areas, the community has surged ahead and we have a lot to be proud of.

Some of my most vivid memories of my early childhood are more along the lines of community memories than personal ones. One of the first ones is "helping" Dad and some other men move and set up the board table in the new town office, when it was under construction, and thinking how big it was. This table is still in use today, though after close to forty years, is looking a little rough around the edges.

The next would be, being among the first to go into the new library after it opened. This was due to the teachers at the old junior school taking the kids down the back alley so that they could have the opportunity to get different books than what was at the school and Elsie Vaudreuil being the librarian.

In grade three, Mrs Braidek's room, I had the responsibility of answering the phone. The phone was on the wall at the back of the classroom. When the phone system changed over from the local exchange to the NEW rotary dial phone, I remember the operator phoning me back because I would always ring off when hanging up the phone (actually I was calling the operator)

With the major disaster story of the times, I remember sitting in class on the second floor of the old junior school, watching the mill down by the lake burn. Quite an impressive sight for a nine-year-old. I remember the big windstorm that supposedly moved the big burner causing the concerns about the safety factor that led to its final demise. The schools participated and attended the sod-turning of the mill on the hill by the white schools. Around the same time that natural gas arrived in Big River, I remember catching hell from one of the guys on the crew forgetting to close checking out the trenches and equipment, when we were out at recess time at the white school.

Looking back, a lot of things happened in that ten-year span of the late '60s and early '70s. I was privileged to witness a lot of the major events and improvements of the era.

The personal memories of my childhood are ones of survival, or maybe character building. Times were hard and funds were tight. Now, I look back and see what Mom did to hold things together. It was amazing what she was able to.

One of the first flashes of my childhood was the summer after Dad died in 1969. We were re-shingling the house, taking a load of old shingles to the dump. We were coming down Main Street in the old green Mercury truck and the brakes went out of the truck. That day we took the truck swimming over the end of the dock. I remember Bob Dunbar taking me from the truck back to the dock, then going after Dick, who had tried to jump but didn't make it. Dick just about drowned, while I didn't get my head wet. I remember NOT catching hell for the mess we left at the hospital, (water and mud all over the place).

That same year I received a new coat for Christmas. I remember putting the new one on over the old one and going down to pump water for the cows. That year, I think it was more than fifty below. The year after that was the last year of the big snows. I seem to remember something like about six feet and having to shovel the snow away from the woodpile and haystacks. That spring when breakup began the water levels from the creeks on both sides of the house rose to a level that put the yard underwater and the house in jeopardy. Jim Langford came down with his tractor and opened the road, maybe four inches deep. By morning the road was completely gone and the width of that hole was over 20 feet.

The summers are what I remembered most: fencing in the morning, weeding the garden, haying and picking berries. We picked strawberries and raspberries off of Kilbreath's breaking; saskatoons, blueberries, and, cranberries all came from the area around mile two and the gravel pit. God, how I came to hate that area as it was all within walking distance. We were there just about daily and Mom never did get a driver's license. It was a holiday when the neighbours volunteered a ride up to Sharpe Lake to pick blueberries. I remember one year picking enough blueberries to pay the taxes and how I hated going. Nowadays it's a treat to be able to steal enough time to go out for one afternoon picking blueberries.

Bees and honey production became a part of my life at an early age. I worked with Hannigan's shaking packages in the spring and throughout the summer whenever they come out to work the bee yard that they had at our place. I remember working with Earl Emde, one year for over a week, for two packages of bees. This was worth about sixteen dollars, and I remember being happy about not having to dig the cash out of my piggy bank.

Milking cows was also a major activity. The summer Mom landed up in the hospital with a heart attack, I was left to milk 14 head by myself, a major undertaking for a thirteen old. Three or four cream cheques a week were good money. That year, on returning to school, the first assignment from the English teacher was 'How I spent my summer'. I don't think he believed me because my grade sure wasn't very good.

I started work at the sawmill within a month of turning sixteen. During the last couple of months of that school year, I worked the night shift at the planer and went to school during the day. I worked at the mill for 15 years and at the end, I was one of three production supervisors. The mill and I parted company in 1992. After that point in time, all energies spent on making a living have gone into the farm and the bees.

In the nineties, it was an honour to be elected to the Board of Directors of the Saskatchewan Beekeepers' Association. I retired after serving eight years on the board with the final three years as President, having represented the Saskatchewan honey industry to the provincial government, federal government and neighbouring provinces. Especially rewarding was participating in the Northern Plains Producer Conference and showing Saskatchewan Beekeeping to the world at an international beekeeping symposium held in Vancouver. Locally, I am involved with the Big River Chamber of Commerce, the Big River Economic Development, the Big River New Hall Committee, and the Big River Centennial History Book.

A major postscript to add to the story is that during my journeys attending the different Bee Association meetings, I met Lori McNaughton in Winnipeg. After some time in correspondence and phone conversations, Lori agreed to change her address. She moved to Big River in the fall of 2003 and we were married June 5, 2004.

Warriner, David and Sandy

David Warriner.
David and Sandy Warriner.

I, David Thomas George Warinner, was born on April 14, 1951, to Tom and Barbara Warriner in Big River, Saskatchewan. I was raised on the farm, five miles west of Big River in the West Cowan District. We went to school by horse and cart and later by bus. We moved into town when I was twelve years old and I soon became a town slicker. I got into more trouble in town than I did on the farm. It was easier to conceal the things you pulled when you lived on the farm, not so many adults around to tell mom and dad.

I joined the Legion Cadets Corps when I was twelve and that appeared to be my destiny. I completed three summers at the Cadet Camp in Vernon, British Columbia. In the schools in Big River, I completed grade eleven and spent one year in grade twelve but that didn't work out very well. The move to the New High School was a fun day. The students "walked" almost everything over there.

I joined the Canadian Armed Forces on January 19, 1971, and went to CFRS Cornwallis, Nova Scotia on February 19, 1971, and received basic training. I graduated and moved to CFB Gagetown, New Brunswick on May 15, 1971, for Basic Infantry Training. I completed my training and was posted to the Third Battalion of the Royal Canadian Regiment in Petawawa, Ontario on September 1, 1971. I was granted twelve days leave so I went home.

As a young soldier in the army, life soon became very difficult. You had a lot of older soldiers around, guys that had been in during the last days of WWII and had served in Korea. There were some great stories in the Mess. The training was never-ending. I managed a couple of trips to North Norway and the Arctic for the winter training and Arctic Warfare. I even got lucky and went to Ft. Benning, Georgia for a month. In November 1972, I met Sandra-Lee Prescott and on December 28, 1973, we were married in Pembroke, Ontario. On April 15, 1974, Jennifer Sandra-Lee was born. I was promoted to Cpl. in August, of 1974. Our next daughter Kimberly Barbara was born on July 10, 1975.

Army life was changing. New things were happening and new equipment was coming in. That meant more time on exercises and away from home. Here today, gone tomorrow. I spent at least two weeks in the Arctic, testing Soft Lens contact lenses.

The summer of 1976 was the Montreal Olympics. I spent most of that summer in Kingston. 3RCR had security on the water sports. That was the summer I found out all about the proper way of coming aboard and departing one of our ships. I was the Welfare Officer's driver and I had to deliver movies, books, newspapers and games to the various locations where the Companies were and we had three ships in the harbour that had to be taken care of. I was chosen for this duty.

In October, the Battalion was off to Cyprus for six months. This was the first of two tours to Cyprus. Leaving Sandy and the girls was hard, but the six months went by fast and we did manage to spend two weeks in Germany and then flew to England to visit my grandmother.

The summer of 1977 was a busy one. I was once again on course in Petawawa and we also had to get ready for our first posting to Germany. I left on July 15, and Sandy and the girls came over once I was settled in. I was promoted MCp1 in March of 1978 and had a lot of opportunity for travel. I was promoted to Sgt. in October 1980. Time went quickly and in the summer of 1982, we were posted back to London, Ontario. Our third child Samantha Kathryn was born on February 12, 1983.

The Regimental 100th Birthday was celebrated in July of 1983. That was a four-day party one could not miss. I had done twenty-seven parades in full dress before the celebrations were complete. Our one and only son Adam David was born on March 1, 1984. We were posted to Winnipeg on July 1, 1984, and were off to Cyprus once again in February 1987 until September. I was promoted to Warrant Officer just before I got back to Winnipeg.

The winter of 1987 saw Winnipeg snowbound. Sandy and the kids had fun, but once again I was off to Shilo. On my return trip back home to Winnipeg, everything was frozen solid and took a while to get everything thawed. We departed in July for our second posting to Germany. This time we did manage to do a bit off touring and toured Holland, Belgium, and the Normandy Beaches. We also visited the Canadian War Cemeteries. We were posted back to Canada in July of 1991.

Tiffany Ester Dawn was born on March 19, 1993, the last of our children. In July 1993, I had enough of the field so I took a posting to the RCR Battle School in Petawawa as the Operations Warrant Officer. I was planning and preparing all the courses that went through school. Regular force course from September till May and then Reserve force course from May to September. It was a very busy but a great experience.

In May 1995, with my knees starting to become a problem and to save a Medical Release, I took a posting to a full-time officer in Ottawa. I became the Career Manager for all Non - commissioned members of the RCR. I now became a manager for over 1800 personnel. I went in May and Sandy and the kids came in August, after we had bought a house forty minutes from Ottawa. The kids would go to school in Rockland, about a thirty-minute bus ride. We remained in Ottawa for three years. We survived the Ice Storm of Eastern Ontario and Western Quebec. That was not fun. Thank God for friends and the weather did not get too cold before the power came back on. An opportunity came up to go west again.

Jennifer was married on August 15, 1998, in Petawawa to Clint Croteau and Kimberly was married to Jason Whittingham on August 4, 2001.

I was training Warrant for the Rocky Mountain Rangers, a Primary Reserve Unit. On February 1, 2001, I took my release after thirty years of service. On February 2, I became a Rocky Mountain Ranger and was promoted Master Warrant Officer on the 8th, and took over the RSM.

We have three grandchildren; Emma born to Clint and Jennifer on July 20, 2001, and Devon born on September 24, 1998, and Nicolas born July 23, 2003, to Kim and Jake.

Warriner, George and Eleanor

George Warriner and wife.
Eleanor (holding Jenny), George.

George Warriner was born in Starfitts Lane, Kirbymoorside, North Yorkshire in August 1867. He had three brothers and one sister. He worked as a farm labourer.

Eleanor Jennings was born in North Ormsby, Yorkshire, in June of 1880. Her mother passed away at the age of twenty-one years. Her grandparents brought up Eleanor. Her grandfather Henry Coverdale was the first railway stationmaster at Kirbymoorside.

Eleanor's father John Jennings went to Canada as a railway surveyor in 1883 and it is believed that he lost his life by drowning.

Eleanor married George Warriner in 1896 and rented the farm known as "The Hagg". There were eight children from this union and all were born at The Hagg.

During the 1914-1918 war, the family moved to another farm in the same district known as "West Ings". Eleanor had taken the St. Johns Ambulance and Home Nursing course and she became a member of the Voluntary Aid Detachment of the British Red Cross Society. She nursed the wounded soldiers from the front at Welburn Hall. It was while she was here she received the "Kings Medal" for good service. She received her advanced certificate in 1925.

George, Olive and Eleanor Warriner.
George, Olive and Eleanor Warriner.

George and Eleanor left England for Canada in April 1927, taking their three youngest children and their adopted daughter, Olive with them. Their son, Dick, left in 1926 for Canada.

They settled in the Holar district, east of Tantalon, Saskatchewan, taking up farming. Eleanor's knowledge of nursing was to become a very useful profession. She worked with Doctor Gilbert as a midwife and practical nurse for many years and brought many of her grandchildren into the world. It was on this farm that their two daughters Alice and Connie were married.

In 1935, George and Eleanor moved 500 miles north to Big River to take up a homestead (Tom and Olive going with them). Eleanor continued her nursing in Big River and surrounding districts bringing many babies into the world without the help of a doctor.

George and Eleanor's two sons, Tom and Dick, returned to England with the armed services in the 1939-1945 war and both returned to Canada at the end of hostilities with English brides. Dick married a Yorkshire lass from the district of his birth. Tom married a Northampton girl. Connie's husband was also a member of the armed forces and saw active service in Europe.

George passed away on August 11, 1939, and Eleanor passed away in January 1966 and is buried in the Big River Cemetery.

Warriner, Josephine

I was born March 9, 1949, to Richard and Mary Warriner. I graduated from Big River High School in 1967.

In 1968, I married Gerald Meyers (divorced 1989), a union to which I had two children: Jean born 1969, and Bryan born 1971.

I was raised on a farm as a child, learning to drive the tractor and do fieldwork before getting seriously involved in the chores of the house, then continued farming after marriage until it ended. I still like to get involved in the farm by helping my brother Christopher when time and circumstance permit.

I started to work for the Provincial Government in the spring of 1976 at Big River Forest Nursery and worked there until the closure in 1996. From there I transferred to Pike Lake Provincial Park where I am still employed. Both positions require most of my work to be done outdoors. This suits me fine, as I would rather do that than housework. The position at Pike Lake is one of a lead hand as I am responsible for the potable water quality in the campgrounds and sourcing suppliers in the city.

For several years, I was the hostess and supplier for Artex and TriChem liquid embroidery. One year I was awarded the Western Canadian top sales at a conference in Edmonton.

I started curling with my Dad when I was a child and continued curling in the old rink, in Ladder Valley and many bonspiels in the neighbouring communities. I was very involved in the Big River Curling Club until I left Big River in 1996. I moved to Saskatoon where I now reside with Charles (Chuck) McCullough.

I joined the National Dart Association in 1999, to which I still belong.

I have five grandchildren: Brook (Jean - 1993), Calvin (Jean - 1995), Waylon (Bryan - 1994), Lauren (Bryan - 1998), and Mackenzie (Bryan - 2000).

Warriner, Margaret (Peggy)

Peggy Warriner.
Back Row: Nolan. Front Row: Jeff, Peggy and Kevin Warriner.

I was born in Big River Union Hospital on July 17, 1953, to Tom and Barbara Warriner. I lived on the family farm until my dad got a job in Buffalo Narrows. I was about six years old when we moved to town.

I completed my schooling in Big River and moved to Lloydminster in 1972. I moved to Prince Albert in 1976 and transferred to Uranium City with the Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce in 1977.

I met my husband, Michael Lalonde, there and we were married in 1978. With the closure of the Eldorado Mine in 1983, we moved to North Battleford. I left my husband in 1987 and my children and I returned to Big River. We moved again in 1995 to Prince Albert where my sons completed high school. Nolan graduated from St. Mary's and Jeff and Kevin from Wesmor. I have been working at Zellers in the restaurant for the last six years. Jeff is the father of my two grandchildren, Brady Robin born May 16, 2001, and Danika Lalonde born June 4, 2002.

Warriner, Norman J.

Norman Warriner.
Joyce, Norman, Billy and Carrie Warriner.

I was born in Big River in February 1955, the ninth child of Thomas and Barbara Warriner, from the West Cowan district. I took my schooling in Big River and left in the spring of 1974 to work on a dairy farm at Radisson, where I met and married my first wife, Valeda Nesbitt. I worked for a general contractor for a while, building school gyms, the R.M. office at Maymont, as well as some roofing jobs. This was seasonal work but I needed full-time employment as our firstborn was on the way. I met with Vic Cookman at a cafe in Radisson and was hired on with Pioneer Grain at Jansen. I moved every six months to Neilburg, Sinnett, and the last move was to live in Sinnett and drive to Carrot River. One vehicle and a six-month-old child, nine miles from nowhere, was not for me, thus, another move.

I started working for Saskatchewan Wheat Pool at Bankend, Milden, Hearts Hill, Prud'homme, Zelma, Stockholm, and Nokomis moving about every two to four years, until the Big Change "Inland Terminal". I am presently working as a processor at Booth Siding. I live in Semans, and in my twenty-eighth year with Saskatchewan Wheat Pool, have seen a lot of changes in the grain industry and a lot of landmarks go down.

If someone had told me twenty years ago that the wooden elevators would be a thing of the past, I never would have believed them.

So thirty years later, I have five children. My children from my first marriage are Michael and Kristina and my adopted son Vaughn, and four grandchildren. My second marriage in 1990 to Joyce Hryniuk, from Prud'homme, resulted in William and Caroline.

I feel pretty lucky to have all this and soon to retire. We spend the majority of our holidays back "Home" in Big River. And hope to return to the north in about two or three years.

Warriner, Nova

Nova Warriner.
Rhea, Chaneil, holding Damon and James,
Roan, Nova and Kaden.

I, Nova Warriner, was born on July 17, 1957, to Tom and Barbara Warriner of Big River. Mom told me that I was the last baby that Dr Crux delivered in Big River. They had to get him from his farewell party to deliver me. I share my birthday with two other siblings-my sisters, Peggy and my brother, Robert.

I received my schooling in Big River, graduating from high school in 1975.

In July of 1975, I married Chuck Morin. We lived in Big River in the suites above Waite's Store for a year. That same year, I started working for George Novotny (Norman Springate & Associates from British Columbia) while the mill at Bodmin was under construction. In 1976, we purchased and moved a park house onto the homestead of Chuck's parents, Louis and Edith Morin. Our two sons were raised on the farm. Jeremy Charles was born in December 1976 and Jarrett Thomas Louis was born in January 1983. We started with a mixed herd of cows, horses for the kids, chickens, turkeys, geese and a menagerie of orphaned animals, Billy the Goat, Wilbur the Pig, and Tinkerbell the Sheep. We exchanged the mixed herd of cows for a herd of purebred Charolais.

After Jarrett was born, I went to work for George Yurach at the IGA. In August of 1986, I started training to become a Special Care Aide and Worked at the newly constructed Lakewood Lodge Special Care Home. This has been one of the best experiences of my life. I enjoy working with the residents of the Lodge and have found life-long friendships in my co-workers.

In 1994, I separated from Chuck and divorced a few years later. Jeremy graduated from high school that year and became the farmer of the family as well as plumbing with his father. Jarrett graduated from high school in 2001 and is now employed at the Co-op Home Center in Big River.

I remained at Lakewood Lodge becoming very involved in the activities of my children. I was on the Minor Sports Board for many years, as well as the Broomball Committee, the Nancy Greene Ski Committee, and the Timber Ridge Jamboree Committee. At work, I became actively involved with the CUPE union-being the shop steward and treasurer for the facility local and then the district local for several years. Also, I was elected to the Parkland Health Board in 1998. I remained on this board until the amalgamation of the health districts into health authorities in 2002. It was during this time that a new hospital was attached to the Special Care Home. I was engulfed into the throws of fundraising to come up with the community's share of the money. Bed Pan relays, Night Golf tournaments, door to door campaigns, and many other functions brought in monies totalling nearly 1 million doors. I am proud to have been part of this great community accomplishment.

In the fall of 2002, after surgery to my knee and a specialist telling me that continually working on the cement floor was out of the question prompted me to think about changing careers. At forty-five years old, I was once again a full-time student. I had to wake up and dust off the brain cells, but in February 2003, I entered the Office Education Program at SIAST in Prince Albert. I plan to be finished in the summer of 2004 and then hopefully back into the workforce.

Along the way, I have seen my family grow. From the two children I gave birth to, I now have six grandchildren to entertain me and keep me young (or tired!). Jeremy and Shay LaPlante have five children, Chaneil, Kaden, Roan, Rhea, and Damon. Jarrett and Christine Sjogren have one son, James.

Warriner, Olive Jean

Olive was born on January 19, 1926, in Kirbymoorside, England. She came to Canada with her family and the dog "Rags" in April of 1927. They settled in the Holar District of southern Saskatchewan taking up farming and Granny being a practical nurse and midwife. They moved to the Big River area in 1935 to the homestead west of town where Olive lived until granny's passing.

Olive's past time on the farm was that of a farmhand. She tended to the sheep, goats, and horses. Dogs accompanied her on many excursions to the barnyard and fields throughout. She never forgot the names for her animals and often reminisced and reminded the family of long-forgotten pets. Granny and Olives only mode of transportation was a two-wheeled cart in the summer and a cutter in the winter pulled capably by "Duke" and "Beauty". Many of the Warriner children went via the cart on a Friday evening to the farm-only to return to town on Sunday. Olive amazed many of the family of her hard work and non-fearing disposition. She was scared of nothing. If the job had to be done, whether day or night, she was out there doing it. Olive remained on the farm until Granny's passing in 1966. From there, she and her scotch collie, Buddy, moved into town with Tom, Barbara and family.

In town without her chores, Olive still found lots to do. The Warriner children found it pointless to wash dishes or set the table, as they didn't do it right anyway which Olive soon pointed out. Olive had her way of doing things and in her own time. There was no rushing her and the job was always done, the way Olive wanted it. One could set their watch by Olive as she did her daily mail run, swinging her bag as she went. On these trips to the post office, she had many encounters with people who became long-lasting friends with her. These mail runs were lengthy but Olive was never late for dinner. These continued even when Olive required a walker and was told she couldn't.

Olive did not know the meaning of the word "can't" and as long as she could do something, she did it. She enjoyed the "handicap group" led by volunteers in Big River. There she mingled with people who had similar interests. Her "cutting and pasting" was there right to the end. This, she has passed on to some of her younger family members. Olive kept herself busy making things with wool by weaving or wrapping or whatever else you can do with wool. She also traced pages and pages of bread clips and then individually coloured each bread clip tracing. Anything she touched, she treasured. These treasures were wrapped in tissue and wool and packed away where no one could find them-sometimes not even Olive! To the Warriner family, Olive never got any older. For some reason, from the day she came into the Warriner house to when she passed away, she remained just Olive. The family tended to forget that Olive was getting on in years but the teasing on both sides was usually there at family gatherings. Olive enjoyed this, giving back just as much as she got. Olive, like many others, thought she was musically inclined. She liked to sing (no tune and only bits and pieces of songs), and she liked to play her mouth organ. Olive taught the Warriner family the meaning of being "mentally challenged". No different than you or I, just "Special".

Olive endured two hip replacements and when the Lake-Wood Lodge opened in 1986, it was decided that this would be a better place for her. Shortly after it opened Olive became a resident there. She fit in well and soon became the queen bee.

Olive enjoyed visiting and company of all sorts. When Olive made a friend, it was a friend for life. Even if the love was unreciprocated, she could not understand, after all, they were her friends. Although Olive was mentally challenged, she was "on the ball" at all times. She was content with life as it was. Olive passed away on June 24, 2002.

Warriner, Richard George Henry and Mary Elizabeth (Ellerker)

Submitted by Christopher Warriner

Richard Warriner.
Richard and Betty Warriner - May 18, 1944.

Richard George Henry was born February 27, 1906, in Kirbymoorside, Yorkshire England. He died February 24, 1969, in Big River.

Mary Elizabeth (Betty) Ellerker was born July 31, 1924, in Gilimoor, England. She died on March 20, 2003, in Big River.

Richard immigrated from England in 1926. Before coming to the Big River area he stayed for a few years in the Tantallon area of South -Eastern Saskatchewan. Although not a lot was said about these times I imagine that this being the later part of the '20s, times would be relatively good with jobs easy to find. A year later his parents and the younger half of his siblings would follow.

Dad came to the Big River area in the early '30s. Again the family would follow a few years later. To earn a living at that time he found work in a couple of the area bush camps. He also helped to build several log cabins on the west side of the lake. One of these houses is still standing today, on the farm site that was purchased in 1946. With the Declaration of War in 1939, Richard returned to England as a member in the Royal Canadian Artillery.

Mom's childhood was spent in Kirbymoorside. With the coming of the war, she found work in what would be considered today as a nursing home. She often reminisced about the sounding of the air raid siren. Some things that stood out in her mind were finding the old ladies with their heads under the table and their butts up in the air or catching hell from some Canadian soldiers for crawling into a bomb crater looking for souvenirs when the bomb hadn't exploded. Giving permission for the Canadian troops to stop by with some Christmas presents for the old people, expecting them to show up with a few chocolate bars when they arrived, they came with a 3-ton truckload of stuff, most of which hadn't been seen since the start of the war.

Permission to marry was granted by the Canadian Army (overseas). My parents were married on May 18, 1944. The first of seven children, Kitty was born June 1945, in England. Dad returned from the Army in May of 1946, and Mom followed, arriving in Big River in July.

Dad purchased the home quarter, from John Hoehn for $800 in May. On the ship, a group of war brides had grown quite envious of one girl bragging about heading for a gopher ranch in northern Manitoba. Although this was not a gopher ranch it was still quite a shock to the system, only to find one small little cabin surrounded by the towering spruce. Soon after her arrival, Dad had to head west to the meadows, leaving a greenhorn alone in the bush for a week or so at a time. With the help of neighbours like Jack Teer, Grandma Lueken, and the Bittmans, mom soon learned to survive.

Madge was born in April 1947, at home with Granny Warriner acting as a midwife. After recuperating from a difficult and dangerous birth, Mom soon realized that she had been led down the garden path. The rest of the kids were born in the hospital with a Doctor present: Josephine 1949, Mary 1951, Richard Jr. 1952, Grace 1956 and Christopher 1961.

To make a living farming was a difficult thing to do. To make ends meet Dad was soon working, packing fish at Waites. Big gardens, milk cows, chickens, pigs and sheep were all utilized to keep the place operational. Wild fruit was also used for food and income. If you were able to gather spare spuds and blueberries the summer's efforts were considered successful.

Dad was an active community member. He was on the executive of the Anglican Church for years, serving several positions. He was also a councillor with the L.I.D. representing the West Cowan district, as well as a firm Legion member.

After Dad died in February of 1969, Mom stayed on the farm making ends meet with hard work and determination. After the kids got a little older she worked in the butcher shops at Waites and Yurach's. In the mid-'70s heart problems got the better of her for a couple of years, but soon was up and swinging, just in time to step directly in front of a steam roller called Beekeeping.

Mom's interest in the bees started soon after their arrival on the farm. Mom operated the extracting plant as soon as there was one, and with tight times in the industry was soon working the hives and making equipment. She is regarded as an equal amongst her peers in the Sask. Industry.

At the time, when most people are considering retirement, Mom realized that there was potential in the farmers market and craft sale scene. Many people will remember her for her eggs, honey, pies and pillows. In the summer, many evenings would find her in the kitchen baking, after putting a full days work in the bees. Her ability to sell was amazing. Many used car salesmen could have taken lessons from her.

Mom's ability to bake was legendary. If you left mom's table hungry it was your fault. The serving bowls never got less than 1/2 done before they were refilled with quotes of " here have some more" and are you sure you don't want more or have another one. Mom was a staunch supporter of the Church and Legion Auxiliary. Many articles of baking made their way to town, for whichever function as was required.

At this time the family numbers as such: 7 children, 16 grandchildren, and 20 great-grandchildren:

Christiana (Kitty) Larson, See own History

Margaret (Madge) Olenchuk, See own History

Josephine Warriner, See own History

Mary (Donald), was born March 3, 1951, in Big River. After her schooling, Mary joined her sister in the Edmonton area. There she met Roger Donald and was married on May 29,1971. They have four children, Michael, born August 24, 1971, David born November 7, 1973, Lisa born March 17, 1976, and Lynn born May 14, 1981. Lisa married Toby Martin in August of 1995. Between them, they have five children, Breanne, Katelyn, Mykayla, Bailey, and Mariah. David has two children Janessa and Jayden.

Roger, Michael, David and Toby, all have worked in the Oil Fields for many years. Mary works in Edmonton, with the printing company Quebecor, which is the largest printing company in North America, which produces many advertising fliers and such that come to the Big River area. Roger and Mary have resided in Devon Alberta for 31 years.

Dick (Richard G.H Jr.), was born on September 28, 1952. Dick's school years were cut short by the necessity of needing to look after the farm in the fall of 1969. Wanting to expand the farm, he soon found himself working with Ted McKenzie in the bush and hauling gravel. In 1972 he started work at the Sawmill, where he worked for the next twelve years. During this time he apprenticed and earned papers as an Industrial Mechanic. After tiring of the mill and deciding that there were better ways of making a living than farming, he soon had a job at the mine at Key Lake. This is where he met his wife Anita Chicoine. They were married on September 7, 1985, and have two sons Gerald and Andrew. They presently reside in Calgary. Dick is mill righting at a mine in the Canmore area and Anita is operating a daycare from their home.

Grace (Normandeau), was born on September 6, 1956. After completing high school in Big River, Grace received her initial nursing diploma from Kelsey Campus in Saskatoon. Over the years she has improved on the original diploma to where she presently holds a Bachelors degree in the nursing field along with administration accreditations. She married Pat Normandeau on March 5, 1977. They have two sons, Robert and Eli. Robert has a daughter, Kayla. Eli married Robyn Olivas on July 5, 2003. Eli has a son Kyle from a previous relationship, and Robyn has three daughters, Melanie, Kaitylin, and Nikki.

After working at a Royal University hospital in Saskatoon and a stop in Weslock, Alberta, Grace then moved north to Fort Nelson British Columbia, where she and Pat worked for close to ten years.

Thinking a change of scenery might be good they then moved and worked in Texas for the next eight years. Grace, finding the summer heat a little too much to handle, decided to move home to Saskatchewan. She is now nursing at the Hospital in La Loche, Saskatchewan.

Christopher Warriner, see own history

The Warriner family August, 1999.
The Warriner Family - August 1999,
Mom's 75th Birthday.

Warriner, Rob and Hartnett, Kathy

I, Rob Warriner, am the eleventh child and fourth son of the late Tom and Barbara Warriner and was born on July 17, 1958. As a youngster with a competitive spirit, I was involved in hockey, basketball and baseball among other sports. I was educated in Big River and graduated from high school in the class of 1976. I then took an Industrial Mechanics pre-employment at Kelsey in 1983 and then became a certified Water and Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator in 1997.

As a youngster, I worked at Waite Fisheries in Big River, and then later with my dad in the Buffalo Narrows plant. In 1979, I went to work with the International Union of Operating Engineers for ten years and worked at Key Lake, Nipawin Dam, the Regina Upgrader, and mine.

In 1984, I married Tammy Magrath of Big River and raised two children: Talia, born in 1983 and Thomas born in 1986. After living in Saskatoon from 1980-1988, we returned to Big River, where I started work for the Town of Big River, assuming the maintenance foreman position in 1991 to the present.

I separated in 1993 and later divorced, and re-met a childhood friend in 1995, and Kathy Hartnett and I have enjoyed life together ever since.

I, Kathy Hartnett, was born in Saskatoon on April 29, 1960, to Tom and Pat Hartnett. As children, my sister Diane and I spent many summers in Big River, visiting my dad's brother Jack, Aunty Stella and our six cousins. We loved the lakes and the forest and kept in touch with family over the years.

In Saskatoon, I attended Albert School, Nutana Collegiate, Kelsey Institute and the U of S, graduating with an Education degree. I have had many wonderful teaching experiences in Saskatchewan, beginning in Burstall in 1985, several years in the North West Territories in Pelly Bay, Holman and Cambridge Bay, back to Dore Lake and St.George's Hill and presently at the T.D. Michel Community School in Big River.

In 1995, I re-met Rob Warriner while visiting family and old friends at the Ness Creek Festival, and am happy to call Big River and Cowan Lake my home.

We both enjoy travelling and visited a couple of times above the Arctic Circle at Cambridge Bay where I was a teacher. After a trip to our roots in England and Ireland, we purchased the old Griepl property from Mac Scriven and now live on the shore of Cowan Lake, five miles north of town.

At present, Rob is still working for the town of Big River, and both Talia and Tom are attending U of S in Saskatoon. To help keep busy, we are both actively involved with the Royal Canadian Legion, in Big River and provincially. Through the branch activities, we can help our veterans, our youth and our community.

e-mail me.

Author: Webmaster -
"Date Modified: April 1, 2024."

Links to all Webpages:

| Ausland Lake |
Northern Saskatchewan

| Deep River Fur Farm |

| Deep River Trapping Page |

| Deep River Fishing Page |

| My Norwegian Roots |

| Early Mink of People Canada |
E. Rendle Bowness

| The Manager's Tale |
Hugh McKay Ross

| Sakitawak Bi-Centennial |
200 Year History.

| Lost Land of the Caribou |
Ed Theriau

| A History of Buffalo Narrows |

| Hugh (Lefty) McLeod |
Bush Pilot

| George Greening |
Bush Pilot

| Timber Trails |
A History of Big River

| Joe Anstett, Trapper |

| Bill Windrum, Bush Pilot |

| Face the North Wind |
By Art Karas

| North to Cree Lake |
By Art Karas

| Look at the Past |
A History Dore Lake

| George Abbott |
A Family History

| These Are The Prairies |

| William A. A. Jay, Trapper |

| John Hedlund, Trapper |

| Deep River Photo Gallery |

| Cyril Mahoney, Trapper |

| Saskatchewan |
A Pictorial History

| Who's Who in furs |
1952 to 1956

| A Century in the Making |
A Big River History

| Wings Beyond Road's End |

| The Northern Trapper, 1923 |

| My Various Links Page |

| Ron Clancy, Author |

| Roman Catholic Church |
A History from 1849

| Frontier Characters - Ron Clancy |

| Northern Trader - Ron Clancy |

| Various Deep River Videos |

| How the Indians Used the Birch |

| The Death of Albert Johnson |

| A Mink and Fish Story |
Buffalo Narrows

| Gold and Other Stories |
Berry Richards